Pizza Corner Diaries

I fall upon the thorns of life! I blog!

My Photo
Name:

EXPERIENCING ISSUES... WORKING ON NOW

Friday

My Life In Film


Bill Murray, alone, in Lost in Translation


In order to keep whatever shred of sanity I had before this whole holiday debacle began, I've disappeared into the pixilated world of DVD Land. The nerdy counter boys at Supervideo must think I'm just about the saddest thing they've ever seen. I mean, who rents a dozen 2-hour movies then returns them, all watched, 24 hours later?


Takashi Shimura, alone, in Ikiru


I'll be the first to admit that movies have ruined me. My real world is so skewed by the influence of films I've seen that I will tell someone a story only to realize as I finish it that it was actually a scene from a movie. Like this time that I jumped in my car and drove up to a ski lodge to confront a woman that I once dated in high school and make her fall in love with me. That wasn't me! That was Emilio Estevez in St. Elmo's Fire!


Clive Owen, alone, in Closer


And then there was that time that my personality was split into my good and evil side by a new form of kryptonite and I had to battle a super computer invented by Richard Pryor that intended on taking over the world's oil industry. Or was that Superman 3?


Art Garfunkel, alone, in Bad Timing


Not all the films I picked were all that good. Closer was terrible. But Mysterious Skin wasn't bad (for a Gregg Araki film). And you can never go wrong with Kurosawa. But you can go wrong with Art Garfunkel. Trust me.


Joseph Gordon-Levitt, alone, in Mysterious Skin


It was only through searching for images from the films for this post that a strange pattern began to emerge. Subconsciously I had apparently rented a dozen films involving people far worse off than myself. And let me just say, it did the trick. I guess if you take anything away from today's lesson it's not to knock other people's hard luck. It can come in handy when getting over your own.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blandy Snorhal said...

Usually to cheer up friends in your situation, I give them a run down of my life and that puts things in perspective for them. Like that time the government auctioned off my house because they claimed I owed $500 in back taxes, when I didn't at all, then Ghandi bought my house and all hell broke loose. Wait, that wasn't me, that was "House of Fog and Sand".

12:21 AM  
Blogger the library girl said...

you really should rethink the whole movie = womb theory. i'm sure you mother would start to cry and start talking about breast feeding you again.

8:38 AM  
Blogger pizza diarist said...

Blandy: Remember that dog we used to own that could talk and wanted to take over the world? What was his name again....?

LG: Let's just make one thing clear: she might cry and start to talk about when she used to breast feed me again. Not cry and talk about actually breast feeding me again.

[insert nervous laughter here]

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home